By Dr. Lou Cella
Sport and Performance Psychologist
Army, Navy, and Georgia Tech combined to do the following in 2018:
- Played 39 games.
- Executed 2,653 plays.
- Averaged 68 offensive plays/game.
- Ran the football 86% of the time.
- Averaged 58 running plays/game.
45% of Army, Navy, and Georgia Tech’s combined offense consisted of the following three concepts:
1: Zone Option with Variations.
- This includes Speed Option, Quarterback Power, and Quarterback Sweep.
- Zone Option with variations was run 461 times.
- This concept was 17.4% of Army, Navy, and Georgia Tech’s 2018 Offense.
- Zone Option with variations is the featured constraint when they don’t get four yards on the give phase of the Triple Option.
2: Triple Option
- This is the “Inside Veer” concept.
- Triple Option was run 403 times.
- This concept was 15.2% of Army, Navy, and Georgia Tech’s 2018 Offense.
- Triple Option is more than just a singular concept, the Triple Option is the foundation of the offense.