If you’re like 99% of us, you’re tracking game day stats and charting plays with pen and paper. This process hasn’t changed much since football coaches began collecting and analyzing data decades ago. The problem with this method is its time consuming, cumbersome and doesn’t always produce the most accurate data – which can cause major problems when you’re making critical decisions based on “kinda-sorta” accurate information. That changes now. Find out more here...
By Mike Kuchar
Senior Research Manager
If you’re like 99% of us, you’re tracking game day stats and charting plays with pen and paper. This process hasn’t changed much since football coaches began collecting and analyzing data decades ago. The problem with this method is its time consuming, cumbersome and doesn’t always produce the most accurate data – which can cause major problems when you’re making critical decisions based on “kinda-sorta” accurate information.
This is why I’m excited to bring you this report. We’ve been testing a new technology that will completely change the way you look at play charting and stat tracking forever.
I’m talking about LegUP (www.LegUPAnalytics.com), the new iPad application that replaces the old pen and paper system of charting statistics and plays. LegUP tracks the play, the situation, the players involved and how they contributed to the outcome, and where and how the play ended.
At first glance, we thought LegUP was just a better mouse trap over the pen and paper method, but we were wrong... really wrong.
After testing the application for the last two weeks, we’re confident that LegUP is ushering in a new era of performance analytics. As coaches, we feel that LegUP has changed the process of play charting and stat tracking in two innovative ways…
- Real-Time Analysis: What we like best is that the stat tracking and play charting data is available in real-time. That means coaches on your staff will have access to the information on the sideline during games using LegUP’s iPad app (no internet required) – so you’ll no longer have to meet with your staff at halftime to “sync” up on stats. With LegUP, your coaching staff will have access to your opponent’s tendencies and trends during games, as well as your own tendencies and trends.
- Post-Game Reporting: As soon as the game is over, LegUP uploads the data to your team’s account (which is accessible from any computer with internet access). Using your LegUP account, you’ll run through a quick procedure to ensure all data from the game is accurate and ready for advanced reporting. Once this post-game work flow is complete, you can send play charting and stat reports to the coaches on your staff. You can also send injury reports to the athletic trainer as well as coaches. And best of all, you can easily upload data directly to HUDL. Keep in mind, this can all be done immediately after the game is complete, giving you more time to review your team’s performance.
Why We Like LegUP Analytics:
After testing LegUP this summer, here’s a list of what we really like about it:
- It is simple to use… we didn’t need hours of training to use it. I tend to be technology-challenged and I picked it up quickly.
- The in-game chart function is smooth and much faster than charting by hand. After we got used to the placement of the input keys, we found ourselves being able to chart many plays barely looking at the iPad, which increased the input speed.
- Coordinators now have access to critical information on the sideline that was previously only available after a game using the old pen and paper method. This alone could be the difference between a win and a loss.
- The instant feedback for coordinators after each play is a great tool to help assess where on the field to exploit and whether adjustments may be necessary.
- The app tracks playing time across the entire team – which allows you to make certain your key players get the rest they need so they can execute during crunch time.
- It helps to improve communication on player injuries. Coaches can now track who is injured and what the injury is – no matter how minor or severe – and generate a report for all the coaches on the staff and your athletic trainers.
- Because LegUP is a technology-based tool and not handwritten, the data is legible – so we don’t have to say, “What in the heck did I write here?”
- It saves you hours of data entry by quickly uploading the information directly into your HUDL account after a game.
- And one of our favorites is… the play-by-play charting and stat tracking is one resource – and that alone can save you time.
- This new technology not only provides critical information for high-pressure decision-making, it also saves coaches much needed time for other responsibilities.
What’s Missing From LegUP:
For all the good things we like about LegUP, there are two things we’d like to see added to the app.
First, we’d like to have the ability to edit directly on the iPad. As you’ll see, using the LegUP app on your iPad is very easy and the thing you’ll find yourself wanting to do is some light editing of your playbook, roster and schedule. Currently, all editing of these areas is done in your LegUP account, which you’ll access with your computer. To be clear, making these edits on your computer is easy, we just want the option to do it on the iPad.
Secondly, LegUP does a great job of providing detailed, in-depth insights from team stats – both your team and your opponents – but we wished it would be able to include individual players’ stats during the game. Having real-time data on what players are having the biggest impact on the game would be like having a crystal ball in your hands when you have to make critical decisions.
With that said, I did speak with LegUP’s CEO, Anthony Blake, after we completed our review of his app. Anthony shared with us that his team is currently in development on many additions to the app – including the two points we shared above. We’re excited to see what his team releases. Judging from what they’ve already built in LegUP, these additions are going to make an already great product even better.
See How LegUP Works:
There are two important things I want you to take a look at now. First, is the video below. This is a promotional video from LegUP that shows how the application works – specifically, the real-time performance analytics available to coordinators.
Watch the Video:
See the Screen Shots:
Next, I recommend you see the step-by-step walk-through of LegUP – specifically, capturing the play, recording the result, getting feedback, reviewing performance: go here to see it. This shows large photos of iPad screens illustrating exactly what you’ll experience using the LegUP app. Get the step-by-step illustrated walk-through of LegUP here.
After two weeks of testing LegUP’s app, we found it to be not only a much needed replacement for the pen and paper method, but it also completely changed the way we look at play charting and stat tracking as a real-time decision-making tool. If you want to get an advantage over your competition, we recommend LegUP.
Get More, Go To: